Did you ever put your thought about eating healthy? You can treat yourself with a bowl of numerous vegetable in a very short time.
Undoubtedly, you have seen rice cooker for cooking rice only. But it can be used effectively for various cooking purposes. By using your regular rice cooker, you can enjoy a healthy meal in a very short time. You just have to assure some procedures.
Steaming Vegetables In A Rice Cooker
Anyways, in this article, I will show you the easiest steps to steam vegetables in a rice cooker. So, if you are here to learn that, bear with me for a minute or two!
Step 1 – Wash and Pour Veggies in the Cooker
Firstly, wash your desired vegetables until the veggies look clean and lump free. Then pour the rice cooker with a convenient amount of water.
Commonly, a rice cooker comes with one measuring cup, one stirring spoon and a steam basket for steaming. You need to put the steam basket inside the rice cooker pan. Now, add your preferred vegetables into the basket.
Step 2 – Add Seasoning
You can also include garnishing for multiple seasoning methods such as oyster sauce, chili sauce, teriyaki sauce, salt, pepper for adding some flavor to the vegetables.
Step 3 – Heating the Veggies
For starting the heating procedure you need to cover the rice cooker using a lid. Make sure turning the cooker on to the “cook” option.
Step 4 – Setting Time
You have to set the timer to avoid over cooked veggies and burning them like coal. Turn the rice cooker off at an approximate time.
Now, serve them into a bowl or container. Your steamed veggies are ready!
Alternative Steaming Method
There are also other alternatives ways to steam vegetables in a rice cooker.
Last weekend, I was being lazy to cook vegetables for my rice, then I found out that I can cook rice and steam the vegetables at the same time with my regular rice cooker. Doesn’t it sound relaxing?
Now if you are interested to know how I did that, here is the description below:
- Let’s start with the rice. If you take 1 cup of rice, you need to add 2 cups of water into the cooker. Or you can say, each cup of rice requires two cups of water. After washing the rice until the rice water looks clean, you need to pour the rice into the rice cooker.
- On top of the rice cooker, place the steamer basket and add the vegetables. If you are intending to steam carrots for example, you need to spread the pieces first then other veggies can be added. Because carrots take the longest time to cook. So it needs to be in the bottom layer. Next, you can add other veggies.
- Now for starting the whole procedure, cover the steamer with the lid and turn the “ON” button. Usually, it takes 20 minutes to cook rice and steam the vegetables together.
If you are a clumsy cook like me, then you can also set the timer to avoid a fiery explosion. Turn off the rice cooker after you are done cooking rice and veggies at the same time.
- Remove the vegetables from the steamer and put them into a container. Put out the rice cooker pan also for checking the rice. Here, you are ready to enjoy your boring rice with tasty vegetables in a very short time.
As we all know that rice cooker necessitates some precautions for safety, we need to acknowledge the facts to avoid any kind of accident. So here they are:
- Before buying a rice cooker, make sure about the brand, customer reviews, and most wanted features.
- While washing your rice cooker, make certain your cooker plug is out of the electric connection.
- If you are busy doing other household chores, set the timer for sure and recheck until it’s ready.
- Avoid keeping the rice cooker where inflammable house items such as curtains, cotton or any clothing materials are kept.
- Make sure your rice cooker is dry after using.
Rice cooker provides various effective cooking methods. You just have to acknowledge the proper procedures and precautions to make sure safe and happy cooking.